Results, USRRC/Coker Tire Challenge

ALL things Rally & Chasing Cones in the Dirt!
wbperry
Junior

Results, USRRC/Coker Tire Challenge

Post by wbperry » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Janice Strawbridge just sent me final results for the USRRC/Coker Tire Challenge. 46 cars entered. Eight of them SCCA. The rally is 3 stages, 8 legs, over three days. A total of about 500 miles.
First place overall was the 1916(!!) Hudson Pikes Peak Hillclimber, open wheel sprint-type car. Crew was Howard and Doug Sharp. Total error over the 8 legs was 25 seconds, and with correction for age of 98 years (like PAX) 16.5 seconds. An absolutely beautiful old sprint car, and apparently a highly skilled crew. The only equipment allowed was a clock and a speedometer with an odometer. Pencil and paper.
First Place in the SCCA USRRC was the Honda S2000 of Justin Conner and Rick Beattie. They ran the E Class, Unlimited, which allows computers driven directly from the wheels or anything. Their total error over the three days was 36 seconds. This would place them behind six of the Coker Tire Challenge cars.
SCCA workers were Janice Strawbridge (Chairperson and Checkpoint), me (two days), Gerald Street (checkpoint) and Randy Slomain (scoring). Janice did a great job of lining up five checkpoint crews, the most ever for the Coker Tire Challenge I think.
The old cars were spectacular, as was performance of their crews. I especially loved all the old open-wheel sprint cars.