Coker Tire Challenge

ALL things Rally & Chasing Cones in the Dirt!
wbperry
Junior

Coker Tire Challenge

Post by wbperry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Yesterday and today, the Rallymaster and I did a Pre-run and Safety Check of Day 1 and Day 2 of the USRRC Coker Tire Challenge Road Rally. Nine hours of driving mostly curvy roads each day, with a bit of chopping weeds blocking view of signs These were the stages to be run on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 19 and 20. On this Saturday we will run the Sunday AM roads. Lots of fun roads, and many I haven't driven before after living here and driving backroads for 33 years. I was very surprised at how many roads we covered.
The schedule for the event has been shuffled some. The two stages we ran this week totaled almost 500 miles, with another 100 miles or so to be added when we do the Sunday stages.
Checkpoint crews will follow the Rallymaster along the actual rally route to get to their Checkpoints each morning. Checkpoints will use cell phones to call times in to headquarters at Coker Tire. At the end of the day, they will come in to check times that were recorded.
If you would like to volunteer for a Checkpoint, or timing at Headquarters, call Janice at 423-596-0060 or e mail at jfrs69@yahoo.com.

mlstraw
Rookie

Re: Coker Tire Challenge

Post by mlstraw » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:49 am

I have been amazed in years past that John can find (from California) roads I never knew existed. He always has an interesting route.

Glad you enjoyed running with him.

Mike

wbperry
Junior

Post by wbperry » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:51 am

This rally presents us the unique opportunity to take part in a rally with a Rallymaster who earns his living, full time, organizing rallies. He does motorcycle rallies as well as those for cars.
This will be a very professional level rally organization.
Fort Street, between Coker Tire and the Staybridge Hotel will be blocked off for use by the rally. For worker parking and for the Park Ferme (car show in redneck talk). Approach from the south end, off Main, as I expect 13th Street to be closed for the Wrecker Convention.
Who does CRSCCA have registered to run other than Mike? Maybe Randy Slomain? Who else?
Participate, or envy those who did afterwards!

wbperry
Junior

Post by wbperry » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Having just spent about 18 hours in the last two days driving two of the three stages of the Coker Tire Challenge, I must admit I wonder at the drivers of the old open wheel race cars that will run the event.
See photos here:
http://www.cokertirechallenge.com/photo ... y=2011&d=3