US Road Rally Championship

ALL things Rally & Chasing Cones in the Dirt!
wbperry
Junior

US Road Rally Championship

Post by wbperry » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Chattanooga Region will host the US Road Rally Championship September 18 - 21. It will be run along with the Coker Tire Challenge rally. Headquarters for the rally will be Coker Tire and Honest Charley's. The old cars from the Coker Tire Challenge will run right along with the modern SCCA cars. This is a major event for SCCA which will bring in the top rally teams in the US. The course will be a total of 500 miles run over three days. Two hundred miles on Friday and on Saturday and 100 miles Sunday.
Chair for the event is our own Janice Strawbridge. I will be Safety Steward. John Classen from Burbank, CA will be Rallymaster.
The only local entry I am aware of now is Mike Strawbridge. I hope will have other entries, and some workers. There will be a rally school on Thursday of the event so no previous experience is required to enter.
The event website hasn't been updated with SCCA USRRC information yet but it is at:
http://www.cokertirechallenge.com/

wbperry
Junior

Re: US Road Rally Championship

Post by wbperry » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:45 pm

See pages 36, 37 & 38 of the August 2014 "Sportscar" magazine for lots of information on the USRRC, to be held in Chattanooga in September.
You will be hearing more locally soon.

mlstraw
Rookie

Post by mlstraw » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 am

Looking forward to running a National Event on local roads. Working the Coker Tire Challenge has been really fun the last few years. I am glad I get the chance to compete this year.

Mike

Janice
Rookie

Post by Janice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:40 pm

The USRRC and Coker Tire Challenge will be run on September 19-21 with registration on Thursday, September 18th. You can register online at www.cokertirechallenge.com The site has been updated and SCCA participants can now register.
We still need volunteers for this event. We need control workers and also a scoring crew. We will have a training session for control workers to help them get aquatinted with the clocks. The scoring crew will need a computer and printer that can be left at Coker Tire for the weekend, and the scoring program would be put on the computer. If you would like to volunteer you may contact me, Janice Strawbridge, at jfrs69@yahoo.com.

mlstraw
Rookie

Post by mlstraw » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 pm

There is an interesting article on Bangshift about Great Race:
http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/201 ... ts-course/

wbperry
Junior

Post by wbperry » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Rallymaster, John Classen, needs to know how many checkpoint crews we will have for the US Road Rally Championship/Coker Tire Challenge right away so that checkpoints are accurate in the route book. So please let Janice know right away if you can participate in the event. Her contact info is above.

Checkpoint crew training will be provided. You don't need to know squat about rally to participate. It's simple, with special clocks (push button when car passes). Perks, of course. In addition, cookout at the Coker Farm on Friday and dinner at the Coker Museum on Saturday for those who work or run the event.

This rally provides an absolutely unique experience for those who crew a checkpoint. The first cars through a checkpoint will be the very competitive SCCA USRRC cars, and they will be followed by the old cars (and a few newer) who do the Coker Tire Challenge. A rolling car show within a competitive event.

Please let Janice know right away! Let's make this a great event. It is Chattanooga Region's most important National event since the Cherokee Trails International Performance Rally in 2002.

rocket71
Pro Baller

Post by rocket71 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:10 am

Is the event SCCA sanctioned event? Is the Chattanooga Region actually sponsoring it or are they just asking for help from car guys? Never heard about it till the first post saying the region was sponsoring it.

I guess what I was saying is, if this is an actual event the club in which they voted on then we need to be pumping this up more. IE...announcements via stickies in the general forum, announcement at the solo events, and club meetings. This can help build membership at all levels.

Wonder if they will supply a banner or info to put or give out on 8/10's Solo event.
B

wbperry
Junior

Post by wbperry » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 am

Yes, the USRRC is a Chattanooga Region sanctioned SCCA event, and a major one. See Sportscar magazine for August for three pages of details. The sanction fee for the USRRC is $500, but SCCA covered this fee for us, as a small region doing a big event.

The idea for a banner for the Coker Tire Challenge at our autocross is a great one. I will ask Janice Strawbridge, CRSCCA's chairperson for the event, to see what she can arrange. See lives at Cleveland so I hope she will be available to attend the event. Many of you may not know Janice, but she has been involved in Chattanooga Region SCCA rallys since 2000. She helps direct the Checkpoints for Coker Tire's Great Race. This year that rally went from Maine to Florida, and last year from the head of the Mississippi River to the New Orleans area. For some years, she has been a key person for the Coker tire Challenge. We are very lucky to have her to guide our Region through our first major Road Rally event.

But we need commitment from some volunteers before the autocross as number and placement of Checkpoints in the route book must be done soon. Writing and printing of the route book takes a while. John Classen, Rallymaster, will be here on August 5, 6 & 7 to do the final run-through, and my Safety Inspection, of the route. We need to know the number of Checkpoint crews by then. I believe a three person crew at a Checkpoint is best, but two can do it if necessary. Checkpoint crews will drive part of the rally roads, using route book instructions to arrive at the Checkpoint. You are likely to see some interesting roads that you haven't experienced before.

Choray911
Pro Baller

Post by Choray911 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am

Sorry Berry, this was discussed at the last board meeting.
I'm a mother truck'n PIMP!!!
In my vintage Camry

wbperry
Junior

Post by wbperry » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:54 am

SCCA hasn't participated in previous Coker Tire Challenge rallys. But go here to see some photos of the sorts of cars that you will see pass through your Checkpoint.
The event this year will be similar to previous events, just adding the SCCA cars to the field.
I love the 1934 Indy car!
http://blog.cokertire.com/category/coke ... challenge/

rocket71
Pro Baller

Post by rocket71 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 pm

How many volunteers do you have now? How many do you need total? So, waiting to try to get an announcement for volunteers at the next Solo event isn't a viable way to get volunteers given the time crunch. We could send out an email blast via motorsportreg, would just need some info.
B

Janice
Rookie

Post by Janice » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 pm

We will need from 10 to 12 workers. Gerald Street, Cory Simmons, and Clinton Woolson have said they want to help. Bill Perry is the Safety Steward, but can work a checkpoint on Friday. Jeannie English will also be available to work a checkpoint on Sunday. She will be running the event 24 hours ahead to check the route. Jennifer Bryan can work on Saturday and Sunday. I would like to have people who can work all three days if possible. I know we need 2 people in scoring.i will be working checkpoints all three days. I am going to be at the autocross in Cleveland, but really need to know by next week who can work. We will also have a training class for checkpoint workers that Thursday afternoon.

This is a fun event!! I have been involved with Coker Tire Challenge and Great Race for the past 4 years.

rocket71
Pro Baller

Post by rocket71 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Sorry for all the questions but this is a large commitment with little time left. I will hit the forums and boards in an attempt to drum up something.

Need 10 to 12 people.
How many checkpoints?
Where and when do they report?
I assume these checkpoints are up to 100 miles away? How do they get there?
What is the time commitment each day?
Do they need to pack a lunch to take with them?
Anything else?
B

Janice
Rookie

Post by Janice » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:17 pm

At least 4 checkpoints per day. Two people per checkpoint, and you may work a double checkpoint.
You leave Coker Tire one hour before contestants, and follow the Rallymaster to the checkpoints. If you have the last checkpoint you will follow the entire route. You will also have route instructions. Once your checkpoint or checkpoints,if you have more than one, are closed you return to finish. You will have to wait for the sweep team to stop at your checkpoint and check in with you to make sure all cars are accounted for.
Clocks are set at Coker Tire just before we leave. We meet as a group when setting clocks. Must be parked and ready on the street between Coker Tire and the Staybridge Inn a half hour before setting clocks. Times are written on a log sheet which is provided. As cars pass the checkpoint you hit the red button on the clock (you will be shown how to work the clocks) and then you record the time on the log sheet. The clocks also print the times, so if more than one car comes in then you have a printout to read the times from. You will call the scoring crews about every ten to fifteen cars and read the times to them. Then they have to repeat everything back.
You should bring either a lunch or snacks with you. You may have a checkpoint after the lunch break. The rally ends at lunch on Sunday at Coker Tire.Bring water, chairs, umbrella. You will be given a box containing clipboards, pens, pencils, and a few other things.
It is really easy to work these checkpoints. I know it may not sound easy, but we will go over everything in the training class on Thursday.

Janice
Rookie

Post by Janice » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

If you are planning to work the USRRC /Coker Tire Challenge please email me at jfrs69@yahoo.com or call 423-596-0060.

If you plan to run in the event you need to get registered soon. They need to know how many will be at the dinner on Friday and the lunch on Sunday. We also need to know how many trophies we will have to get.

TNcoupe
Rookie

Post by TNcoupe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:30 am

Mike do you need a CoDriver for old times sake??? THAT WAS OUR TURN RIGHT THERE MIKE!!!! Is Maytag gonna come out of retirement?
2016 Focus ST
2015 Mustang GT

wbperry
Junior

Post by wbperry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:30 pm

The Coker Tire Challenge/SCCCA US Road Rally Championship starts Friday. Registration & Tech Thursday at Honest Charley's Garage. Park Ferme (car show for southerners) starts about 5 PM on Saturday on Fort Street.
The attached video gives some glimpses of where we will be spending the next few days, when the rally isn't out on the roads somewhere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pr1f90zozg
Corky has some fine toys on display!