Jet Port Events Cancelled

All things involving Asphalt & Cones!
shaggybob
Site Admin
Jet Port Events Cancelled

Post by shaggybob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:59 am

So the FAA has shut us down, no more running at the Jet Port.

Rest assured this is not the Jet Port's choice. They want us there unlike the Eastgate issue last year.

Yes we all know that many different groups run many types of motorsport events at airports across the country, however until the FAA clears the Jet Port to hold the events again we are out.
Bob Moates - Just another auto-crosser
2016 Ceramic MX-5 Club

stockerbill
Junior

Re: Jet Port Events Cancelled

Post by stockerbill » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:09 am

What about the old Cleveland Airport, Hardwick Field? Allan Jones bought it and he seems supportive. I don't think it has been touched since it closed, but I'm not sure of that. Not the greatest layout but could have some killer slaloms.

shaggybob
Site Admin

Post by shaggybob » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:19 am

stockerbill wrote:What about the old Cleveland Airport, Hardwick Field? Allan Jones bought it and he seems supportive. I don't think it has been touched since it closed, but I'm not sure of that. Not the greatest layout but could have some killer slaloms.
I think it's worth a look if they are interested in having us. According to google maps, the run way is 70 feet wide and there are tarmac areas as well. I think we could make some use of it.
2016 Ceramic MX-5 Club

dewittpayne
Rookie

Post by dewittpayne » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 am

I suggest you contact your Congressman. That's the most effective way of dealing with the Federal bureaucracy.

CabotTeg118
Senior

Post by CabotTeg118 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:23 am

stockerbill wrote:What about the old Cleveland Airport, Hardwick Field? Allan Jones bought it and he seems supportive. I don't think it has been touched since it closed, but I'm not sure of that. Not the greatest layout but could have some killer slaloms.
The old airport was on my list of possible sites. It has enough space to run, but we would be pretty limited on course design. I also don't know what the condition of the pavement is.
Phil
1985 Toyota MR2
1986 BMW 325
1987 BMW 325is - Faster than an E46 M3. Now also faster than a C5 Z06...
1994 Acura Integra - Rust Bucket
1988 BMW 325 - The parts car

punchyspub
Rookie

Post by punchyspub » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 pm

The last time I flew a patient from Hardwick Field the pavement was in pretty decent shape. That's been a little over a year ago though. It's definitely worth a look though.
Doug Evans
1995 Miata - SSM/DD
1992 Miata - CSP
2012 Accord - Grocery Getter

rocket71
Pro Baller

Post by rocket71 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Mr Fidler is working the old airport angle on our behalf. He also knows of another lot. Spent some time on the phone with him tonight, will try to update everyone soon as more info comes avail.
B

Byron Spencer
Rookie

Post by Byron Spencer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:55 pm

how about this old Kmart on 153. Seems big and vacant. This of course is based on google earth and hell it is probably owned by whatever hedge fund bought eastgate.

shaggybob
Site Admin

Post by shaggybob » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 am

Byron Spencer wrote:how about this old Kmart on 153. Seems big and vacant. This of course is based on google earth and hell it is probably owned by whatever hedge fund bought eastgate.
Happen to have an address? or approximate address?
2016 Ceramic MX-5 Club

stockerbill
Junior

Post by stockerbill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Since we previously had success with schools, perhaps Ridgeland High School in Flintstone Georgia would be a candidate? It has an interesting L shaped area that only has a few light poles. One area is marked out as a football or soccer practice field (on pavement??? tough students..). Could have a lot of interesting course layouts in that space.
ridgeland.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shaggybob
Site Admin

Post by shaggybob » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:04 pm

stockerbill wrote:Since we previously had success with schools, perhaps Ridgeland High School in Flintstone Georgia would be a candidate? It has an interesting L shaped area that only has a few light poles. One area is marked out as a football or soccer practice field (on pavement??? tough students..). Could have a lot of interesting course layouts in that space.
ridgeland.JPG
I measure about 185,000 sq ft which is very workable there.
2016 Ceramic MX-5 Club

brianchevy
Rookie

Post by brianchevy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:26 pm

As a member of ETR, i am so disappointed to hear about the cancellation of your JetPort contract. The one time i ran there was the most enjoyable 1 day Autocross ever.

I spoke with several of the ETR leaders at the SEDiv event and they wanted me to come on your forum and pass along their sincere invitation to come on up to Pellissippi for some of our events. I'm told that I can say 5 runs is common, sometimes 6 is possible, depending upon turnout.

So, please consider hitting our webpage and coming to join us until the Chatt Choo-Choo gets going again. (hope it's not long).

[img]http://www.etrscca.org
[/img]
All the best!

Brian
#17 STU (With Joshua Morgan)
#15 C-Prepared (With Cameron LaRose)

RilianXI
Rookie

Post by RilianXI » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:10 pm

stockerbill wrote:... One area is marked out as a football or soccer practice field (on pavement??? tough students..).
ridgeland.JPG
It's for marching band lol
Eric Chance
Automotive Technician