Rookie
Tires

Post by JJ67 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Tire sugestions for 04 miataspeed allowing to stay in cs class

Will94SC
Pro Baller

Re: Tires

Post by Will94SC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:24 am

Anything over 200 treadwear is eligible, but the Toyo R1R, Bridgestone RE71R, BFG Rival and Rival S, and Dunlop Z2* are probably your best bet in order to be competitive.
Will Smith
ESP 46 'Merica

shaggybob
Site Admin

Post by shaggybob » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 am

Jeff,
I'm thinking you mentioned that your car is a daily driver. A lot of people that daily drive pick up a second set of wheels to run tires that are better for Autocrossing and keep their daily tires on the other set.

If you consider that as an option, then you have some room to work with as to the wheels you use. Street(stock) classes can go up or down 1 inch in wheel diameter from stock, but must maintain the same width, as well as +/- 7mm offset from original. Going with a smaller diameter on the MS Miata can provide more tire options. I looked on Tirerack for reference and they have three popular tires for autocross is available in a 16 but none of them are available in 17. Fortunately you have a Miata and the availability of used stock wheels is pretty decent. if you decided to go that route.

The minimum UTQG rating for street is 200. I'm a fan of the Hankook R-S3 myself but the new Bridgestone RE-71R is reportedly a very good choice as well.

I know you asked for a suggestion for which tire and I would go with the Hankook R-S3 in 205/45-16 on a set of stock rims from a non-turbo car. It's a proven tire and if it comes down to running it daily, I know they will hold up and do well in the rain but they do not work very well in the cold. Then put some all season tires on your stock rims. I think you mentioned the Pilot AS3? Which BTW has a treadwear of 500 and wouldn't be a good autocross tire.

I'm not familiar with the RE-71R as they don't make it in sizes I can use so I'm ignoring it for now.
Bob Moates - Just another auto-crosser
2016 Ceramic MX-5 Club

rocket71
Pro Baller

Post by rocket71 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Yeah, the Bridgestone tires are all the rage right now. So many options right now. In a Miata I would follow John Browns lead and go with the Bridgestone if I just had to buy tires now. As this stage of the game, just get some high performance tires and learn.
B