Questions and Information and Opinions desired

All things involving Asphalt & Cones!
Trixia
Rookie
Questions and Information and Opinions desired

Post by Trixia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Help me guys and gals:
What does it take to go to national event? Do you just sign up and go? How much do they cost? What do I need to know?

If I ran R Comp Tires instead of Autocross compound how much difference does it make. Would like to have track day tire but really can not afford two sets.

Would like to go to track day in January or February to Little Tally. Who is interested?

Is the club meeting on Thursday? Where?

Clinton
Clinton Woolson

Choray911
Pro Baller

Re: Questions and Information and Opinions desired

Post by Choray911 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:07 am

Its been so long since I've been to a national tour I couldn't even tell you the costs.

I do know that fuel & lodging are by far the most expensive part of the trips.
I'm a mother truck'n PIMP!!!
In my vintage Camry

randallwilcox
Junior

Post by randallwilcox » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:34 am

I looks like you are asking 2 different questions.
National events: Just sign up and go. The only prerequisite is an active SCCA membership. The event only costs about $110-$115, but a weekend can cost $300-$600 depending on several factors. Do you tow (XP so I would hope so), and how far away the event is. How nice a hotel and how much beer you can drink in a weekend. Fine dining? Hotel roomate or single? Post race entertainment? For National events, I recommend getting there Friday afternoon to get teched, registered, and walk the course as many times as you can. You can do all of that Saturday morning, but it is very stressful to me.

I am a little confused about your autox compound vs. r compound question. If you are asking the difference between a 200 treadware (Hankook V2, Star Spec, etc.) and Hoosier A6, the difference on an XP car, A6's should be around 2 seconds faster on a 60 second Nationals style course. If you are asking about full slick (no DOT rating) vs. Hoosier A6 (DOT rated), that's a much more complex question that mostly depends on whether a car is set up for slicks. In theory, slicks could be faster depending on course style and weather. A sweeper heavy course in cold conditions would heavily favor Avon slicks. A highly transitional course in warm weather probably favors the A6. Rain favors a 340 treadware Continental DW. Car setup is also important. We tried RB25 Hoosier slicks on Eric's SSM Miata at the last Blytheville event. Since his car is optimized for A6's, the slicks sucked. A lot. Like 4 seconds/run of sucking.

I totally recommend an extra set of wheels/tires for track days. You can often find some cheap/used tires for track days. Great way to finish off an old set of street tires too.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by randallwilcox on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randall Wilcox: car slut
1996 Miata R pkg: SSM 196 (current ride--Thanks Eric and Greyhound Pets of America): The fastest SSM car in TN!

Will94SC
Pro Baller

Post by Will94SC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 am

Trixia wrote:Help me guys and gals:
What does it take to go to national event? Do you just sign up and go? How much do they cost? What do I need to know?

If I ran R Comp Tires instead of Autocross compound how much difference does it make. Would like to have track day tire but really can not afford two sets.

Would like to go to track day in January or February to Little Tally. Who is interested?

Is the club meeting on Thursday? Where?

Clinton
Just sign up and go--I think last I knew, entry fees were around $95. Compared to a local event, there will be more sitting around. Bring a lawn chair, cooler, drinks, snacks, tools, sunscreen, and a ridiculously large hat. It's a much more fast-paced environment in terms of the event schedule. There will be 3-4 cars on course at any given time, and course workers have to run to get cones if you don't want to get run over or hold up the event. Grid is also bang-bang. When it's your turn, be ready to go right now. They have 1800 runs per day they have to get through.

"R-comp" is typically used to describe any DOT-approved race tire. I assume your tire question refers to something like a Hoosier R6 vs. Hoosier A6, and the biggest difference will be that A6s offer more grip sooner and at lower temperatures. But if you can only do the event on R6s, just go and have fun. See what it's all about before you invest a ton of money in tires for it.

I think we're done with club meetings for the year. Presumably the next one will be the second Thursday in January.
Will Smith
ESP 46 'Merica